Friday, August 1, 2008

Find a Puppy.....Pick it up......and all you'll have.......

NO SLEEP!!!!!!!

The hubby found a puppy on Monday and brought it home while we looked for the owners. We have put up signs, contacted the local animal shelters & vets, registered him on two Lost/Found pet sites. If someone were actually looking for this puppy, we would have heard something. Beagle mix roughly 4 to 6 months old (guessing by the fact that he has adult dog teeth), all his manhood in tact. Very cute and lovable. We think someone dumped him. He was very jumpy and dirty when he came here. Did not seem to understand what dog food or treats were. Has never worn a collar of walked on a leash. And WAY too smart for his own good. We did the basics of feeding, cutting his nails and bathing him. He loves to play with Gizzie and us. His current area when not outside or hanging out with us is in the bath room with a baby gate. Well, for being so small his mind is quick. In an attempt to train him not to stand on the gate I keep a squirt bottle with me. Well, I left the room next to his area for a few minutes and before I can return there is the puppy tail wagging and next to me. Within 24 hours the little bugger figured out in that short of time that if there is no human in the room means he doesn't get squirted while climbing over the baby gate. So, I raised the gate a few inches and hide on the other side of the door to test my superior human problem solving skills. Ah, yeah, by the time I was hidden, the puppy was next to me. Raised it another inch and the bugger flattens himself and goes under. He has all ready learned fetch. Things like sit, stay, and lay down he seems to understand and promptly ignores. Gizzie has successfully mastered that she is the dominant queen of the castle with the pup, but he refuses to see me as his alpha (that manhood really needs to go.)Hmmm, to bad that would never work on men. (Just kidding.)

So, now that he has had a taste of being able to get himself out of the gate, he hates that we doubled the gate and won't let him out all night. He sleeps in 2 to 3 hour spurts. Which might be my fault in an effort to potty train him, Gizzie, the puppy and I go outside very 2 to 3 hours. The plan really was that we were just holding the pup until we found his home, well the hubby decided to name the pup Scooter. And the fact that the pup was so neglected that even on Monday when I was still keeping him on the deck, his tail wagged while to slept. I think he knew he was in a good place. Albeit, we are on a one dog budget and have the time or energy to train a puppy. He is making not keeping him rather easy at the moment seeing as how he has been crying and barking for the last 2 hours. Hence why I am blogging about a puppy at 0300. I don't know what else to do. I want to have a great home where he will be loved and taken care of, but it really cannot be our house right now. So, hear I sit crying over a puppy that I have not known all that long. What can I say, I love him. I suppose when it comes to animals God gave me a big heart. Now people on the other hand, I can live without some days.

No comments: